One thing I've always loved is inventive spelling. I think it's the darn cutest thing when kiddos begin to sound out words and communicate through writing. And, from a teacher's perspective it makes me want to make a fist, squeeze my eyes shut, and whisper "yesssss!" because it's a very important step on the road to reading and writing. I know, I'm a big nerd and I need to calm down just a bit. Sorry.
So anyway, it would only make sense to share some of Lily's latest inventive spelling. Below is a picture she drew for daddy to have on his bulletin board at school. It's a picture of his grandma Ruth who passed away about two weeks ago. She asked me every detail (what color are her eyes? her hair? what color pants was she wearing last time we saw her?) and then sounded out "Ruth Grandma" herself. Serious sweetness.

And, just to see how good you are at reading inventive spelling, these are some of her latest notes and captions (my help in brackets):
IS KREM WTH KLRFL [SPRINKLES]
I W TO [THE] OSIN
I WZ TRPG THRO [THE] FORIST
SOTP MOM SOTP MOM
...
...
...
Translation:
Ice cream with colorful sprinkles.
I went to the ocean.
I was tromping through the forest.
Stop Mom. Stop Mom. (written on a post-it note stuck to the computer monitor after my telling her she needed to r.e.m.o.v.e herself from the computer area.)

2 comments:
Amanda was spelling "STOP" the same way. Funny! Every time we came to a stop sign she would say, "S-O-T-P. Stop!"
Great spelling, Lily!
I agree with you. I was terrified of teaching my boys to read but it was so great!
Hi Codi,
I have a bloggy friend whose little girl was just harnessed for hip dysplasia. Would you stop over and give her some support?
http://thebignells.blogspot.com/
Thanks! She was one of Ana milk mamas. :)
Katie
Post a Comment