"Ine two-an-a-HAF." she told her brother this evening when he informed her that she was not old enough to board down the stairs with her. And boy is she right. Since she was born, she has lived her life on the counter. At first, it was to protect her from bodily harm cause by loving and curious siblings. And then, in what seemed like the blink of an eye, it was simply because she could get herself up on the counter in 0.4 seconds flat. And now, it's because the counter is the gateway to a whole new world inside the cupboards. And well, if you've lived your whole life on the counter, why not?
The other day, after too many minutes of quiet, I found this:
Nothing says "two-and-a-half" quite like a scantily-clad munchkin on the counter surrounded by orange peels and an impish grin. Well, maybe this says it just as well:
Doesn't she remind you of a freaky 80's death-metal band member with all that lipstick coming down out of the corners of her eyes? Ha! She also pointed to my mascara and said, "That's a really hard one, Mommy." I struggle with that one myself, sweet pea. Though Lily was just as active and into things as Nora is, for whatever reason she never got into make-up. Maybe I was more careful about it. Or I didn't' have it in an attractive bag. Or I had two less kids. Or something.
Up until last month, our one saving grace was that she hadn't figured out the round doorknobs yet, and thus a shut door was a safe room. Now, only a locked door is a safe room. I did purchase, for the first time ever, those child-proof door handle covers. Lily felt sorry for Nora, though, and helped her pop them off within 5 minutes. Such a loving older sister.
So, dear Nora, I love you and your impish ways these days. Of course, I am a bit tired of chasing your naked buns all over the house, cleaning up your many messes, finding empty gum packages in nooks and crannies, wondering where said gum ended up, pulling you off the counter, rescuing you from your hanging trick on your sisters loft bed before you fall yet again, and putting your clothes back in your dresser for the 500th time. But you know what? I absolutely would not want it any other way. Because this little phase will pass, and I'll miss it. I know I will.
But if you could just remember where you put my cell phone 12 days ago, that would be fantastic. I'm still hoping it didn't get flushed like the last one almost did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment