Saturday, June 15, 2013
The boy can ride!
It was early May when Mason asked me to take his training wheels off. I hesitated, fully expecting to be putting them back on after one too many falls. "Okay, but I'm not putting them back on...", I assured him anyway.
We have a small circle-drive that goes around our little garden at the top of a big hill, so there isn't much room to learn to ride. There is however, great opportunity for learning to steer in a circle :). And our road is all hills and curves with no shoulder, so bringing young bicyclists on walks has definitely added to my collection of gray hairs. I was in no hurry to give my 4-yr-old more speed and fallability.
But to my surprise and his delight, this boy mastered two wheels in short order! The first day included many falls and even more "get-back-in-the-saddle" than I've seen from him before. Determination was written all over his face and he absolutely did NOT want the training wheels replaced. By then end of day 1, he was getting around all right. Day 2 brought consistency and far fewer falls. And by Day 3, he was cruising down the driveway and ready for a ride on the road.
So proud of you, buddy! You rock!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment