Bkgrnd

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

MJG

Oh MJG...you are TEN!  Today you must have been thinking in the back seat because, out of the blue, you stated, "I'm not going to be here much longer, mom."  I wasn't sure where that statement was headed, but was thankful when you clarified: "I only have 8 more years here."  Here being with us.  With me.  Because 18-10=8.  Thankfully, you will actually be 19 when you leave home so we get a bonus year.  Nevertheless, a good and timely reminder to soak up every mundane and special minute with you between now and then.

You are such a buddy.  And a guy.  Today, on the way into Target, you held your little brother's hand and told him that you were going to the toy section 'just us guys'.  He replied, "I'm not a guy. I'm a 4-year-old."  His lack of camaraderie didn't dampen your spirits a bit, though!

You like to spend money & get very very excited about doing so.  It's hard these days for you to keep money in your pocket for long.  Your birthday money purchase was a drone.  You ordered it from Amazon and wanted to track it every minute until it arrived at our house.  When it did, you couldn't wait (seriously.could.not.wait.) to open it and take it for a spin.  You used it for about a week before a part broke.  Not long after that, I found you in your room taking it apart screw by tiny screw.  You have plans to make a fan boat out of the spare parts.  I love your big plans.

You have a great sense of humor and almost always pick up on our sarcasm.  You love to tell jokes and thoroughly enjoy all the classic 10-year-old boy humor.  You have a serious side, though, and ask deep and serious questions from time to time.  I know that your brain never stops humming because, when given time and space, your questions and statements come in a steady stream.

This summer you have harvested many, many crayfish from the lake.  You've boiled them up once & ate a little taste (it must not have been your favorite).  You really enjoy fishing...now if we could just get you to keep track of your rod :).

You make me think of the boy about your age in that book, "Love You Forever".  You clomp through the house with muddy boots, are constantly bouncing balls off the walls, don't take enough baths or showers, and brush your teeth less than I tell you to...but that's as a 10-year-old boy should be.  And guess what?  You still let me hug & kiss you (well, kisses reluctantly!) and you ask me to lay with you before bed almost every night.  Sometimes it's not very convenient or I have other things I'd like to get done.  But I almost always do.  And I'm always happy that I did, sweet boy.  Because those few minutes of chatting with you and snuggling with you and praying with you?  They are priceless and fleeting.

I love you so, Mase-J.

Love, Momma xoxoxoxoxo

No comments: