Bkgrnd

Monday, August 25, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter

Lily has received a gene that I do not possess. It's the "I love danger" gene. I don't have it. I'm safe. I like safety. I don't like to get hurt, so I try to avoid it. Although I'm no Punnett square expert, I believe that since she didn't inherit that gene from me, there's only one other person it could've come from: her daddy. I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion, but for the fact that I know the guy. Allow me to prove to you that, indeed, the two share this same gene.


Exhibit A:


Remember when we didn't have a railing? Yes, that gave me ulcers and took years off my life. I remember it clearly. Well, since February, I've enjoyed the comfort and safety of a railing. However, it took my incredibly not safe daughter about one month to pull this stunt. I was in the kitchen, hard at work, when I noticed that I had not seen or heard from Lil in about 30 seconds. I came out to the living room and could hear her, but could not see her. As I turned around, I saw her, high above my head, working her way along the outside of the railing. Then I died. Then I came back to life and instructed, "Do not move." (in a very calm voice that said please don't jump). In case you've died as well, you can come back to life now. I was able to retrieve her by lifting her over the railing into my shaky, scared, and um, not happy arms. This is just one of many, many stories of the same flavor. And I can guarantee you that we'll have many, many more.


Exhibit B:




This is her daddy, about one week ago, jumping/diving/flying in the Boundary Waters. In case you were wondering, the cliff was about 30 feet high. This is Lily in about 25 years, guaranteed.


I've concluded that God has not put me here to keep these two safe. I think He's put them here to make me cling to Him and increase my faith. For real.


PS: If you'd like to make a tax-deductable donation to our Emergency Room fund, email me.

3 comments:

e&e said...

Great post! I'm going to have to share it with my own danger man, who, ironically, passed his danger gene on to our daughter. Why not the son? Who knows.

I'm sorry I have no extra funds to go to your emergency room fund. We are busy padding ours, as our history of 12 emergency room visits in 7 years of marriage indicates that we'll need it.

Can't wait for more posts about the way God uses this to grow your faith! (Hopefully, slowly and spread out over time, and with ample insurance).
elisa

Mike and Katie said...

Eeek! I love the way you illustrated the picture of Lily! Too funny and very creative.

I'm sure it's taken you this long to get over the shock. I bet you her Daddy would have told her to jump.

Katie

us said...

Your hilarious! Very good blogging skills you have! And love your outlook of increasing your faith:o)!
My laptop is still dead...