I think my kids are cute. I do. I think that's a parent's job. I really don't care if anyone else thinks they're cute, if they have a face only a mother could love, or if their clothes aren't always incredibly clean, not worn out, or trendy. Admittedly, I could easily be caught up in buying my kids the cutest stuff around. Thankfully, our budget doesn't allow for that type of indulgence (plus, we get some sweet hand-me-downs!).
All that said, lately I've been noticing myself telling Lily,"Oh, that's such a cute shirt!" or "You look so cute in that!" And I don't really like it. Not because she doesn't look cute (she does), but because I so don't want her to focus on that stuff. In our society so full of materialism, I don't know that she'll get by without noticing it to some degree, but I don't want that to be a goal of hers....to always have to look cute on the outside.
I really do desire for her to worry far more about what her inside looks like. Will she be kind and caring? Generous? Confident? Looking out for those less fortunate?
All the studies show what God already knows: children learn best by example. So if I don't want her to focus on the outside, I can't do it myself. Sigh. Parenting is a great way for God to tease out those things that need working on in my own heart. :) And there's plenty there for Him to work with :).
So, if you happen to be around me and I tell my daughter that she's "so cute", please give me a look. You know, a look. But please don't tell me that she's not cute. Because I'll still think she is. I'm her mother, what do you expect? :)

3 comments:
Cute post! ;)
elisa
hey cody i have started updating my blog again and there are some pictures of my house and some new stuff ok talk to later
I'm terrible about the cute thing especially at this age when everything they do and say is so cute!
I try to save myself by saying, "You're so cute when you're smiling or helping mommy or waving nicely." Or find other adjectives-helpful, friendly, generous, kind, hardworking- that sort of thing.
By the way, your kids are cute!
Katie
Post a Comment