This past week I celebrated my 30th birthday.
I really think it went great considering the day began with white chocolate raspberry cheesecake and ended with a pumpkin pie blizzard :).
Many, many years ago I determined in my heart that I shall always celebrate my birthdays - even when I'm 75 if I'm so blessed to be that old someday.
Getting presents happens to be one of the reasons that I will always choose to celebrate.
But more importantly, it's being thankful that God has given me each day I've had.
I remember when my mom turned 30. I was eleven, after all. I really couldn't imagine being as old as her. Turns out she was super young!
An old friend (old as in long-time and old as in older than me -- ha!) came to visit me. It was special.
Most all my friends surprised me a couple days later. My cheeks hurt from laughing. I'm so thankful for my friends!
I realized that I did so many things in my twenties that I always dreamed about doing. Going to college. Being a teacher. Getting married to my best friend. Becoming a mama. My twenties were amazing.
But, like my friend Andrea, thirty feels like home. My husband once called me a prude ("but in a good way, hon!"). I think he was trying to say that I've always been so mature. Now I'm the actual age I've always been in my mind.
At the same time, it's only been recently that I realized I needed to stop paying attention when someone mentioned "college-aged". Something about the fact that I'd been out of college for 7 years. I forgot that part.
When I turn 40 I will have a nearly-16-year-old. That helps me to live in today and treasure it. I'm not nearly as afraid of turning 40 as the other thing I just mentioned.
30 is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Lovely thoughts! Eric walked by while I was reading this and said, "Cody JUST turned thirty?" I guess he can't believe you are so much younger than him, since he's been 31 for a few months now.
Isn't getting old wild and good?
elisa
Love this, Cody!! I hope year number 30 is full of happiness, laughter, and adventures! Cheers!
Post a Comment