It's a rare year when the lakes freeze over before the snow settles in. Shandy and I each have vivid memories of a year like that while growing up.

My memory includes seeing turtles under my feet as the ice was clear as glass. I also distinctly remember my parents laying my baby brother on his back in his puffy snowsuit, hanging onto his legs, and flinging him across the ice because it was so smooth. I should note that my brother liked it, from what I recall :).

Shandy remembers a moonlight walk out to the lake where his dad flung a hatchet across the black ice, hearing it "tink-tink-tink" until it stopped, and then trying to be the first to find it by skate.
On Sunday afternoon, we set out to make some memories of our own. It was a balmy 45-degree mid-December day and the kids had a blast.
They loved running as far as we'd let them -- they could've walked a loooong ways -- slipping now and then, and occasionally laying on their bellies to see down into the water through the 4+ inches of ice.
Even Nora got in on the fun, taking notes from her older siblings :).
At one point, as I sat on the sandy beach (seriously? sandy beaches in December?) watching my children run-slip-belly on the ice 200 yards away, it was hard not to get nostalgic. It's funny the things that, as a parent, strike you and make you realize This is special.
Sure, I'd love a big old snowstorm before Christmas. But this?
This is fun, too.


2 comments:
I have vivid memories of the year the lake was frozen with no snow as well. Winter of 1986 on 'Lake on Five in Goodland' Three kids with one small enough to 'fling' on his back across the ice amidst giggles. Ahhhh, memories!! What a blessing it is to see and hear about the new memories those once little kids are making. LOVE it!!
What an AWESOME family outing!!! :)
Great pics, Cody...as always! :)
Post a Comment