Mother's Day dawned bright and sunny this year. Mason had come stumbling into our room about 6 and was snoozing again by the time my usually-snoozing-at-this-time big girl came bounding in. "Don't get up yet. Just stay there. Don't come down until I say," she said and skipped out of the room. We obeyed. Finally, after much clattering down in the kitchen, Lily came up to give us permission to come down.
She had set the table with our fine linens (hand towels make lovely placemats), as well as our fine china (melamine "chargers", white regular plates on top, and small cute red polka-dot plates on top of those). At my spot was a paper bag with a drawing of me in bed on the front, a pink card, and a book illustrated by Lily: "If You Give a Mom a Muffin". "You can't cook today, Mom!" said my girl.
I read the book - a sweet, sweet story about a mom getting distracted by all sorts of chores and kids and dirty diapers, only to find her kindergartener had already eaten her muffin! -- and the card (it read "You are pretty. You are beautiful. You are fabyoulus! Love, Lily"), and finally opened the bag to find a yummy blueberry muffin. "I'm so excited!" she said, "I can't believe I could wait so long to surprise you!" Oh, and while I was eating my muffin, she made me a banner that read "Muthr's bDy!" Love.
I have to say, I was surprised. And overjoyed. And I really did feel special and loved. What a treasure to have a girl big enough -- and sweet enough! -- to love on me like that.


2 comments:
Awwww.....that is SO CUTE!!
You are a great mommy who so deserves to be loved on like that!
Oh how I miss those sweet cards and yet feel so blessed when my grown up girl who is a mom gives me a card that says she finally understands what it means to be a mom. Then I cry when my other grown up girl gives me one that says how she misses the times we laid in bed and read all her Little House books. Being a mom just makes you sappy and weepy. It's the best. ;)
Post a Comment