Bkgrnd

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Finally Four!

Happy, happy birthday, Mason J!  You're FINALLY four!  We're thankful we get to watch you grow up big and strong.  I think your muscles might just be a little bigger now.  You woke up bright and early on your big day.  It's become a tradition to go out to breakfast with Grandma & Grandpa S on your birthday, and we told you that you'd need to wake up very early to go eat, since G & G had things to do after that.  You came in our room around 5 am ready to go for breakfast.  Not that early, buddy.  You did go back to sleep and I had to wake you up at 7 when they arrived and you had a smile on your face long before you could get your eyes open :).  After breakfast, you helped them plant some flowers at church -- what a great helper you've become!

Later, we celebrated with some friends and family who came to wish you happy birthday.  Just like it did when you were two, it rained and rained and rained.  But that's okay.  The cake and ice cream were delicious anyway.  Honestly, though, I think you were most excited to get the "ASV" and the tractor off the cake :).  

You, freshly four, are a mud-boots boy.  It doesn't seem to matter how hot it is, you always want to wear your mud boots - usually sockless.  I still need to record your shirt-undies-mud boots ensemble that is so typical of you these days.  You ask good questions about God and I'm so glad that in all that thinking that goes on, you wonder about who this "Jesus" is.  You still love gum.  LOVE gum.  You fight with your sister - the older one.  But you also love to play with her.  Today you both spent at least 30 minutes together, she reading and  you listening.  Love that.  You baby your little sister.  Yesterday you really, really wanted her to ride on your back as you "swam" at the lake.  You talk to her in a high-pitched voice :).  You're a daddy's boy.  You love to be outside with him and are so, SO excited to go hunting with him as soon as possible.  The other night, in order to delay going to sleep, you came upstairs in your fluorescent orange hat and vest and your little boy undies, wanting to talk about hunting.  It was sure hard to send you back down to bed looking like that.  You also are so excited to be in high school so you can have your very own axe.  And maybe 8 or so and then you can have your own jack-knife.  Such wonderful aspirations you have, son :). 

We're so, so grateful that the Lord saw fit to include you in our family, you little chatterbox.  Happy four years!
   

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I love that Mason loves mud boots. My big boy did too when he was that age. I smile still when I think of his skinny little legs in those black rubber boots running through the swamp catching frogs. He had permanent calloused marks on the backs of his legs from his boots rubbing. I miss those days. I do not however miss the smell of those stinky feet every night when we pried his feet out of them.