Bkgrnd

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ten Years - Part 4

My semester in Chicago was winding down.  I ended up needing to stay on an extra two weeks after everyone else, and would need to live out of my suitcase for those two weeks.  So my hero and his brother so lovingly came and hauled all my belongings home for me.  I could.not.wait. to leave the city and those last two weeks were excruciating.

But finally the last day came.  I finished up my student teaching assignment on the last day of school before winter break.  My student teaching supervisor had so graciously let me stay with her and her family and they had left for Florida a couple days before that.  I came home to their empty (but awesome) brownstone, packed up the last of my things, and waited to see my favorite white Buick Century pull in the drive.  It did, too, right on time.  The drive home was a little scary because the roads were horrible, but I couldn't have been happier there on my cloud 9.  Going home.  With my best guy.  Never to leave again.

The next morning we did a little last minute Christmas shopping before heading home.  Sometime while we were shopping I started to feel sick.  A little flu-ish or something.  We headed home and the sweetest part about the Buick was it's comfy blue velvet bench seat in the front.  I could lay down in the front seat, which is what I did.  I woke up awhile later and it was starting to get dark.  I noticed right away that we weren't on Hwy 35 heading north.  It wasn't long before I saw a sign that read "Taylor's Falls -- xxmiles".  And then I knew.  I suddenly didn't feel so sick anymore.

We pulled into the park entrance after dark.  The gates were closed and the roads and trails weren't plowed.  The last time we'd been here together it had been fall and we'd come for the amazing scenery.  We got out anyway, and hiked through the snow.  I had no idea where we were or where we were going, but I didn't mind being led by the hand :).  Eventually we reached a clearing and I immediately recognized the view.  It was breathtaking, overlooking the river so far below the cliff, even on a winter's night.  He got down on his knee and said many sweet and meaningful things that I'm sure he had rehearsed but I barely remember.  Tears welled up in my eyes and I, of course, said YES!  I couldn't see my ring, what with it being dark and all, but it made it safely to my finger and I loved it.  And somewhere in there he also gave me a pair of pearl earrings.  I still treasure them.  Immediately after my saying yes and us hugging, etc.  he went to the edge of the cliff (as in, the EDGE.  in the dark.  and snow) and yelled, "I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!"  I would have found it hilariously awesome had I not been thinking that my brand-new fiance was about to plummet to his death.  Some things don't change, my friends :). 

We were engaged!!!  We ran back to the car (it was cold, man!), drove into town where there was some cell service, and called our parents.  We finished the drive home and went to bed.  The next morning we were asked to read Scripture in church, which we did, and our little country church gave us all a warm congratulations.  It was sweet.

We set the date for August 30th, right before Shandy was to head back to school.  I planned to live in the cities with his cousin and substitute teach as soon as my license came through so that we could be officially done with long-distance, since home was 3 1/2 hours away.  It didn't work out that way, since my license kept being delayed.  That was hard, but we made it work.  That summer I went back to my resort job and he to his construction job.  He had one three-week class in August, and then came the best day ever.

Our wedding was perfect and we both enjoyed the day completely.  We grew our own flowers and my mom sewed the bridesmaid's dresses.  The biggest surprise came at the reception when Shandy turned into Frank Sinatra and serenaded me a'capella (no, seriously.  He was amazing.)  Our kids really get a kick out of watching that :).  I accidentally locked him out of our hotel room for a little while.  And we took a road trip through the Upper Penninsula of Michigan for our honeymoon. 

What an incredible journey.  And it was really just the prologue.  To God be the glory, great things He has done.  I absolutely could not ask for a better best friend to do life with.  I love you more than words, babe.  Happy ten years. XOXO

No comments: